AFRINIC had entered the 2nd phase of IPv4 exhaustion in 2019. According to the AFRINIC IPv4 exhaustion report published on 14th January 2020 is 22.214.171.124/11 (AFRINIC Enters IPv4 Exhaustion Phase 2). (Source: Afrinic.net)
Some points to ponder on AFRINIC’s position in the global scenario for being the last RIR to have entered the 2nd phase of IPv4 exhaustion and why the delay in the exhaustion?
1. Because IPv4 (meaning the internet) was introduced the last by IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) in Africa through AFRINIC.
2. With the exponential demand for IP addresses due to the rise in mobile and broadband users, it has come to a state where 1 IPv4 address is shared by 10 African people, so you can see the impact and rate of AFRINIC IPv4 exhaustion.
3. IP blocks being grabbed by numerous shell companies on the continent.
4. More IP addresses being requested by multinational companies who have set up businesses in Africa.
5. Buying and selling IPv4s on the IPv4 Market Place, instead of approaching AFRINIC.
AFRINIC Enters IPv4 Exhaustion Phase6. Procrastination in fully adopting IPv6 and relying only on IPv4.
7. Africa is a dumping ground for machines and technology that support only IPv4.
For a complete IPv4 outage in the African region, Internet Service Providers must wholeheartedly adopt IPv6, which will save their high costs of running dual-stack technology (AFRINIC Enters IPv4 Exhaustion Phase 2).
When will IPv4 be phased out? is no longer the question to be asked, but rather your question should be – how to successfully perform IPv4 depletion?
IPv4 depletion and IPv6 adoption are largely dependent on the following:
1. Deployment of IPv6 by major ISPs in the African region on a large scale
2. Introduction of 5G mobile devices in Africa
3. IPv6 Support for IoT devices
4. Efficient usage of existing IPv4 addresses will deplete them more quickly
5. Companies need to openly start their shift from IPv4 to IPv6 more rapidly than ever
nters IPv4 Exhaustion Phase 2).
Hence, it is high time, African companies and ISPs take the golden initiative to make the transition from
IPv4 to IPv6 without any delays.
Not sure how to go about shifting from IPv4 to IPv6? How can an IPv4?deals help you sell IPv4s and earn revenue? How can Alpha InfoLab help you make a hassle-free transition? Are these questions bothering you? Our team of IPv4 and IPv6 experts are here to clear all your queries with prompt and quick customized solutions (AFRINIC Enters IPv4 Exhaustion Phase 2). Reach out to our team today.
IPv4 or IPv6, which is better for Gaming?