In general, IPv4 addresses space are available via Regional Internet Registries (RIRs), such as the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN). There was a shortage of IPv4 space by 2001, and in 2015 ARIN announced that they would no longer grant free space. If customers meet very specific requirements, ARIN will no longer allocate IPv4 addresses. IPv4 addresses are generally only available by trading or secondary market transfers (HOW TO BUY IPV4 ADDRESS SPACE?).
IPv4 Market Price set to rise, IP Leasing and IPv6 could bring prices down
IPv4 is still the most commonly used Internet Protocol for connecting 32-bit computers even after being run out.
The rollout of IPv6 while almost a limitless supply of addresses is a slow-moving process because it is not entirely compatible with all things IPv4. Migration and upgrades can be costly for many organizations.
Important improvements to networks, routers, switches, firewalls and concurrent attempts to run IPv4 and IPv6 can be super expensive, and many have opted to upgrade over time as a long-term project rather than taking the leap all at once (HOW TO BUY IPV4 ADDRESS SPACE?).
Simpler router task with IPv6 than IPv4
Therefore, with active IPv4 address seller and more demand than ever for IPs, the market for buying IPv4 Address continues.
Most organizations and enterprises possess IPv4 addresses in large quantities. Addresses than run into millions have been and never will be used, creating a large secondary market for investors. Although currently in abundance, selling IPv4 addresses will become rarer in the foreseeable future (HOW TO BUY IPV4 ADDRESS SPACE?).
Facts to Know before Entering the IPv4 Marketplace
How to buy IPv4 address block?
When you decide to buy block of IPv4 Addresses, for those with insufficient experience, it can be difficult and risky.
This is especially true since there are policies and rules through ICANN (The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) and American Registry for the Internet Numbers (ARIN) that need to be followed when transferring the addresses.
Before you can buy IPv4 addresses block, there are specific requirements that must be met. Regional pre-approvals also need to be taken from Regional Internet Registry (RIR).
Five Steps to buying IPv4 Addresses Block
- Pre-approval. –ARIN, RIPE and/or APNIC presently have additional space specifications. Provide your current address usage data and projected growth rates.
- Find a broker. Find a partner, like us, that has best relationships and makes you feel like they really care.
- Prices change – generally depending on location, size, and whether they look clean.
- IPv4 transfer. Many transfers use an ’Escrow’ service, to act as a trusted third-party. After verified payment is received, the IPv4 address seller transfers the prefixes to their registry account. They will then validate the pre-approval and set the transfer fee based on the size of the IPv4 block. The addresses are now yours.
- Notify ARIN, Whois, DNS records and update Firewalls, border ACLs, BGP and Geo-IP services.
The benefits of reaching out to a broker are tenfold. First, it takes a lot of the weight off your shoulders. We have extensive knowledge of ARIN, RIPE and APNIC policies at IPv4.deals and we are the link between IPv4 addresses sellers and buyers and assist in accelerating the transfer process.
We take the responsibility of research off of your hands. Our team confirms the right-to-use and any other limitations that may exist on the use of the IP addresses. Acting as the trusted brokers of IPV4 properties, we negotiate price, timings, and law, and help facilitate the escrow accounts for complete protection.