The internet is one of the most important services people are using all around the world. One cannot imagine a world without the internet. To keep the world of the internet going on for another few centuries, IP address adoption is crucial.
IPv6 is here to stay and that is why embracing it will take businesses to an all-new level. IPv6-enabled businesses can easily reach customers who are already using the IPv6 networks. This will give your business an added advantage over your competitors.
What is IPv6 address?
IPv6 address is the 6th version of the Internet Protocol. It is also the Standard Internet Protocol replacing IPv4, the earlier version of IP. IPv6 uses 128-bit addresses, meaning there are 340 trillion trillion trillion IP address possibilities.
Transitioning from IPv4 to IPv6 is an ethical business decision that needs to be done by all businesses and nations. It is just the right time to choose IPv6 over IPv4. The advantages of IPv6 outweigh that of IPv4.
What is IPv6 Used for?
IPv6 is the future of how technologies will communicate with each other. It is the best bet for businesses to grow exponentially, especially when they are looking towards advanced technologies.
Let’s take a look at where IPv6 is used:
- 5G: 5G is the fifth generation of mobile communication. 5G is modelled to be non-compatible with its predecessors 2G, 3G and 4G. In order for 5G to work seamlessly, IP version 6 is the only protocol that can provide the physical security, cyber security and network security, unlike IPv4.
IPv6 can easily integrate and accelerate the functionality of 5G wireless. Especially, when businesses are looking at mobile Internet of things, mobile Cloud Computing, Fringe Internet, and more. 5G can essentially provide a lot of services like distance learning, telemedicine, rural development, Industrial advancements when combined with IPv6.
The beauty of 5G is that it can connect many small devices on a local wireless network (LWN) with each other within a home or an office. It is like a small cell network. Small cells are customized to work for IoT devices.
- IoT: IoT or Internet of Things requires a simple network like IPv6, rather than a complex network like IPv4 which uses NAT (Network Area Translation). IP version 6 uniquely provides NDP or Neighbour Discovery Protocol that can easily connect devices and simplifies number of devices to connect over a local network.
IPv6 provides better remote access and managing of numerous IoT devices with ease because it uses multicast communication. IPv6’s efficient multi-cast communication enables the improvement of the battery life of IoT devices. This can be done by relaying messages to only specific devices in the IoT network instead of network-wide broadcast.
- Applications: Many applications we use today are supported by IPv6. Some popular applications are Windows, Linux, macOS, Solaris, and more.
- AI: IPv6+ AI or Artificial Intelligence is a secret recipe for efficiency and reduced costs for operations and maintenance. It will largely ensure reliable and safe energy efficiency and minimise energy waste in businesses especially corporations, factories, manufacturing units etc.
- Cloud Computing Services: IPv6 and cloud services are interdependent on each other. AWS (Amazon Web Services), Google Cloud, Windows Azure, Tata Communications, NTT Communications, HP and more are some of the most popular Cloud Computing services that are IPv6-enabled and provide a wide range of cloud business services. Cloud computing integrates three essential parts of communication – IPv6 Infrastructure, Platform and Applications.
Cloud services are used by businesses that are essentially providing IaaS (Infrastructure as a service), SaaS (Software as a service), and PaaS (Platform as a service).
Apart from the above, the national security of various countries also depends on IPv6 and Cloud computing, like the US Department of Defence. Many other US Government departments use Cloud Computing for enhanced security and swifter solutions.
- AR/VR: Augmented Reality or Virtual Reality is widely used by gaming software companies. For high-speed internet and enhanced security, IP version 6 is the best network protocol for AR/VR games or platforms. After the pandemic hit the world, AR / VR based games or software have tremendously become popular, especially in specific industries like adult entertainment, casino gaming, dating applications and more. For all of these activities, high traffic capacity and high-speed internet is important, hence it is very important.
- Self-driving vehicles: Self-driving or virtual assistance driving is the new trend in the automobile industry. In the future, vehicle to vehicle communication is another prospective idea that could see IP version 6 play a very important role. Imagine vehicles are communicating with each other, reducing traffic jams, and accidents.
- The cyber-eco system is ever changing and your business needs to change and adapt to new technologies.
Why Your Providers Should Support IPv6 | IPv4 to IPv6
Why IPv6 adoption is essential for the future?
IPv6 adoption is crucial for future communication because it has an in-built IPSec which was missing in IPv4. IPSec in IP version 6 is designed to provide a robust network, supported by authentication headers and encryption by Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP).
IPv6 is enabled with Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) that provides cryptographic confirmation for everyone on the network. When everyone starts using the IP version 6 widely, then some cyber attacks like MITM (Man in the middle attack) or ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) poisoning, will be a thing of the past.
How many use IPv6?
Currently, India is leading in IP version 6 adoption at 61%, followed by Malaysia at 47.7% and third is Germany at 46.6% according to Akamai. When you look at India closely, you will see that the government is making essential efforts to adopt IP version 6 across various departments and industries.
how IPv6 is being pushed in India by NIXI.
How to make the migration from IPv4 to IPv6?
Imagine you are migrating from one office location to another. You will require new furniture, new infrastructure changes and more for the new office. In the same way, migrating from IPv4 to IPv6 will require some new infrastructure investments and software and network updates.
You can purchase IPv6 address space where you have dedicated IPs for business use only. Transitioning to IP version 6 requires a deep understanding of your current business infrastructure and the best way to move forward. For a thorough analysis, your business can be in the capable and professional hands of experts from Alpha Infolab.
What can I do with the IPv4 addresses I have?
After transitioning to IPv6, you may wonder about the fate of your IPv4 address block. Alpha InfoLab is the official broker that can facilitate to sell or buy or lease IPv4 addresses for RIRs – LACNIC, APNIC, RIPE NCC, and ARIN. You can lease or sell IPv4 space on IPv4.deals, Alpha InfoLab’s exchange platform for IPv4s. On this platform, buyers or lessors bid for a fair market price.
For more information on the best course of action for your business, connect with our experts today.